Adriana Aleixo Pereira de Barros (born 1976) is a Portuguese and Canadian illustrator , web designer , and poet.
Since 1999, Barros has created visual poetry that combines various disciplines: writing, designing and drawing, sound editing , and filmmaking (through the use of new media , Flash software ). Her visual poems have been screened at the American Flashbang festivals! and Flashbang 4 (2001 and 2002), The. ME.Project. (2002, showcased in Toronto, New York and Los Angeles). Her work has appeared in art / poetry books and websites.  De Barros has been recognized for “(…) trying to make poetry more dynamic and accessible .”  Her creations exist as she states, “so that even someone who can dislike poetry can enjoy it visually.” 
of Barros designs and illustrations at his own studio, Breathewords. And she is also founder and editor of Scene 360 , a not-for-profit, online film and arts magazine; since 2000, it has provided numerous insightful interviews and profiles of leading web designers, artists , and filmmakers.
Born in Caldas da Rainha , Portugal, from Barros moved to Toronto at the age of three.  As a child is mainly interested in sports; and only when she was twelve did it realize her interest in drawing.  At age fifteen, her family Decided to move back to her birthplace,  Where Barros faced cultural challenges with her education and lifestyle .
In high school, she chose to study art and design, deciding to pursue cinema in college. Upset with the lack of sophistication within the film schools and film industry in Portugal, she believes that Toronto “would have been a better location to pursue cinema than in Portugal.” She wishes to study filmmaking in North America.  Out of high school, she began working on her family’s clothing business. The experience of a full-time job as a fashion and advertising designer for the company, as well as co-running a copy center with design section. 
In 1999, Barros started web design and programming. She mentions finally finding her up online by “-combining various art forms into Each project”.  The Internet supplier providing non-geographical boundaries and for easiness of Barros to write and create English language projects. She Began with exploration in frame-by- frame Flash visual poems to founding an online movie and arts magazine, Scene 360 , where she would write film and art analysis and profile creative individuals.  
Not having a formal degree, from Barros is self taught .  Today, she still runs her copy center, as she designs in her studio. She is principal and creative director of Breathewords.com. Her work covers various illustrative magazine covers  to e-commerce and wacky Flash sites for poets (eg HotEmuluv).
of Barros’s interactive narratives and poems have been showcased at design and Flash festivals, and screened on the Internet on places like poemsthatgo (“Winter City Sleeps” and “Blinding Lights”, 2001),  top design portal K10k (“Freedom of Expression in the Copyright Era “premiered in Issue # 131, 2004), and online art gallery Lumen Eclipse (” Invisible “, featured in 2007).
Illustration style and technique
” Her art revolves around issue of daily life, human psychology analysis and color, and imaginary and surrealist envisionment. (…)”  She likes to paint portraits of people with distinguishing facial expressions.  And objects commonly found in her artwork are … hands, angel wings, butterflies, and animals.
Barros’s prominent style is “(…) intentionally leaves portions of her pieces unfinished or with imperfections. ”  She has a passion for living with contemporary living. From inspirations of the Golden Age of Cinema to Renaissance(eg unfinished sketches by Leonardo da Vinci ). This combined with a Pop Art print  -her paintings of kids in animal masks, Disneycharacters; and tattoo-styled outlines with bold color backgrounds. Her creative process is noted for its clear difference from a fine artist and cartoon animator, because it has many times begins with writing-inspired by a theme, song, and daily life-and then composed into a visual. 
From Barros’ painting technique is mixed with watercolor , color pencils , spray paint , and collage .
De Barros’s web designs in Both Flash and static media ( CSS and HTML )-have-been featured with design excellence in ” HOW ‘s Top Ten Links (2003, USA), Web Designing (April, 2003, Japan), Taschen ‘s 1000 Favorite Websites (2003, Germany),  STEP Inside Design (Issue May / June 2004, USA).  She Has Won a Portuguese Multimedia II Award (2005),  two SXSW Web Awards Nominations (2003 and 2004)  nominated in the 17th Stuttgart Filmwinter New Media Award (2004). ” The American Institute of Graphic Arts ( AIGA , Cincinnati) has a Top Design Site Award ,  MSN.com with a Site of the Week  and Yahoo! a New and Notable mention. 
De Barros is also involved in the design industry, having a speaker / workshop session about the behind-the-scenes work on her visual poems and films at the OFFF04 convention held in Valencia, Spain. She has continued to read about design at universities in Portugal. 
- Poetry from Portugal – H20 Magazine
- Web Gurus Interviews – Erudition
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Adriana de Barros” , Cloud King
- ^ Jump up to:a b Ptasznik, Julia. “Poetry in Motion” Archived July 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine ., Visual Arts Trends , April 2001.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Profile of Adriana de Barros” Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine ., Scene 360 , 2001.
- Jump up^ “Adriana de Barros – Poetry from Portugal, H20 Magazine , March 2003.
- Jump up^ “Profile of Adriana de Barros” ArchivedSeptember 28, 2007, at theWayback Machine. Scene 360, 2001.
- Jump up^ “Interview Adriana de Barros” ArchivedMay 13, 2007, at theWayback Machine.),Underspray, April 2007.
- Jump up^ “Adriana de Barros Interview” ArchivedMay 13, 2007, at theWayback Machine.,Underspray, April 2007.
- Jump up^ Gain, Heather. “Invisible Eduardo Recife + Adriana de Barros”ArchivedAugust 5, 2007, at theWayback Machine.. Lumen Eclipse, January 2007.
- Jump up^ Gain, Heather. “Interview with Eduardo Recife + Adriana de Barros”ArchivedSeptember 27, 2007, at theWayback Machine.. Lumen Eclipse, March 2007.
- Jump up^ Magazine cover ArchiveddesignSeptember 27, 2007, at theWayback Machine. for Car Busters , Issue 24, related article “Gender Blind in the Philippines,” 2005. Original Reference found on Breathewords.com
- Jump up^ Ptasznik, Julia. “Poetry in Motion” “Archived copy” . Archived from the original on 2011-07-08 . Retrieved 2007-06-05 . ),Visual Arts Trends, April 2001.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Iqani, Mehita. “Breathe Words”, emphasis in original, ITCH , Bells-Roberts Issue 04, 2004. ISBN 0-620-31894-5
- Jump up^ Iqani, Mehita. “Breathe Words”,ITCH,Bells-RobertsIssue 04, 2004.ISBN 0-620-31894-5
- Jump up^ Ptasznik, Julia. “Poetry in Motion” Archived July 8, 2011, at theWayback Machine .,Visual Arts Trends, April 2001.
- Jump up^ Wiedemann, Julius. Taschen’s Favorite 1000 Websites,TaschenSeptember 2003.ISBN 3-8228-2586-7/ISBN 978-4-88783-252-7
- Jump up^ Coupland, Ken, Scene360.com, ‘Linked Up: The Top 10 Sites for Finding Online Design’, Inside Design, USA, Issue May / June 2004.
- Jump up^ Portuguese Multimedia II Award,Numero ArchivedFestivalJune 13, 2007, at theWayback Machine., Portugal, 2005
- Jump up^ SXSW Interactive,Scene360.com, Nominee, Redesign / Relaunch, 2003.
SXSW Interactive,Breathewords.com, Nominee, Portfolio, 2004.
- Jump up^ 17th Stuttgart Filmwinter,Breathewords.com, nominee New Media Award, Germany, 2004
- Jump up^ AIGA Cincinnati,Scene360.com, Selected Top Site in the “Design” section, 2003.
- Jump up^ MSN.com,Scene360.com, Site of the Week, October 2002.
- Jump up^ Yahoo.com,Scene360.com, New and Notable, issue titled ‘Around the world in art and back again,’ August 28th 2002.
- Jump up^ 2007. “The Challenges of Designing for the Web”1st Multimedia Encounter (ISMT) ArchivedOctober 10, 2007, at theWayback Machine..University of Miguel Torga. Portugal.
2006 “Behind-the-Scenes to Showtime”1st Multimedia Design Encounter ArchivedAugust 18, 2006, at theWayback Machine. (ESEC)University of Education of Coimbra. Portugal.