Dissatisfied with the architecture of the Bootstrap and Foundation, John Slegers. [ citation needed ] He came up with the name Cascade Framework for his project and released it under the MIT License in March 2013. [ citation needed ] The last stable release is version 1.5. 
Cascade Framework 2 is currently under development and will be involved in the Sass language.  
Cascade Framework 1.x is written in pure CSS. It supports responsive design and all modern browsers IE6 +. For an optimal balance between footprint and flexibility, it implements to modify design pattern inspired by SMACCS and OOCSS .
The following key features: 
- Cascade Framework is fully based on an OOCSS architecture optimized for both performance and flexibility.
- Cascade Framework contains advanced components like “panels”, “tabs blocks” and “navigation” components that can be combined in various ways.
- Cascade Framework is design agnostic. You can choose the default theme, create your own or just work with your own project. Both typography and color scheme are separated into separate modules to suit that purpose.
- Cascade Framework allows you to choose between a Semantic Grid technical and a presentational technical grid. Twitter Bootstrap offers only a presentational technical grid.
- With the Cascade Framework, you can choose between 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,16 and 24 columns are supported. .
- Cascade Framework uses a special padding element for its gutter, which combines with the media object integration makes the grid both more powerful and easier to use than any other grid system.
- The total CSS code of Cascade Framework is only 9712 bytes and can be further reduced if you do not need all modules. For many projects, you’ll have a build of Cascade Framework with that’s only 3910 bytes.
- Cascade Framework has a “light” version that’s no longer than 2010 bytes in total. While it does not contain components like panels or tabs, it still offers a clean design for a whole bunch of elements, support for IE6, responsive behavior, etc. If you need just its grid features, you can go as lightweight as 323 bytes.
- Cascade Framework offers support up to IE6 and there are no plans to drop support for older browsers in the near future.
Cascade Framework is open source and available on GitHub .   Developers are encouraged to participate in the project and make their own contributions to the platform.
Posted on October 13, 2013, Crunchify Lists Cascade Framework as # 5 in its “Top 5 New and Favorite Responsive Frameworks”.  Bootstrap, Cardinal, TypePlate and Furrato respectively.
In an article posted on October 24, 2013, CodeGeekz lists it among “12 Fresh and Useful Frameworks”.  Gumby, Solved by Flexbox, UI Kit, SkelJS, Cardinal, CSS Layers, Grid Forms, Gridism, Maxmert, CSS Rocket and Kube Framework.
Linux portal Linuxlinks lists Cascade Framework as one of the ten “finest open source lightweight frameworks to kick start CSS and HTML projects”.  Other projects listed are Quantum Framework, Pure, Baseline, HTML KickStart, Base, KNACSS, Toast, Motherplate and HTML5 Boilerplate.
The Cascade Framework was Softpedia’s Script of the day on September 6, 2013.  Softpedia’s scripts test Catalin Cimpanu  explains why, according to him, Cascade Framework is not your typical framework: 
The Cascade CSS framework is a unique project these days. CSS is one of the most important CSS frameworks that focus on the UI.
While CSS frameworks have been busy, they have been in their frameworks, most of them forgot the main problem with Web development, a problem that has been around since the early 2000s: cross-browser compliance.
While most frameworks break when seen from a different, older browser, the Cascade Framework still renders the same gracefully degrades in ancient browsers.
Impossible right? Not possible, but very possible, as this framework has proven. The biggest difference with Cascade compared to other CSS frameworks is the way code has been organized, making it easy for developers to not only use, but also maintain the websites they build. All without breaking in older browsers.
Cascade Framework was also one of two successful submissions of a competitor organized by the Belgian web development company Openminds in the Context of their 2013 Ruby conference, called Arrrrcamp. 
As of May 19, 2014, a Drupal website has been added to the Drupal Sandbox website  as a sandbox project.
As of October 29, 2014, Advanced Cascade Framework has been released. This Open Source project integrates Cascade Framework with JQuery UI . 
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework Twitter page
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework Github page
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework – Compared CSS Frameworks
- Jump up^ Binpress – Cascade Framework
- Jump up^ Github – Cascade Framework
- Jump up^ Github – Cascade Framework Light
- Jump up^ Crunchify – Top 5 New and Favorite Responsive Frameworks
- Jump up^ CodeGeekz – CSS Frameworks for Developers
- Jump up^ Linuxlinks – Lightweight Frameworks to Kick Start HTML / CSS Projects
- ^ Jump up to:a b Softpedia – Script of the day, September 6th, 2013
- Jump up^ LinkedIn – Catalin Cimpanu
- Jump up^ Arrrrcamp – Announcing the winners of our contest pull request ArchivedNovember 6, 2013 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Drupal theme
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework Advanced