The Certified Internet Web Professional (CIW) was created by a community of Web designers and developers in the late 1990s. The company that currently owns CIW, Certification Partners, offers books, on-line learning and high-stakes exams. Third-party companies also sell CIW preparation material. 
The CIW program claims that each of their certifications are created by experts who propose to participate in an advisory council.  objective These Are Said to outline specific job skills, with the training That Accompanying profiles Both proprietary and free and open source software .
The owners of CIW state that they provide “vendor neutral,” because no one specific vendor is profiled. The idea is that instead of teaching specific applications, the program teaches more important skills. However, CIW’s relevance has come under question in some circles. Because CIW was created during the “dot com” period, it certifies that it has fallen under the criticism that it has been created to simply cash in IT certification. Nevertheless, CIW seems to have survived the dot com bust and various criticisms to become the world’s largest Web education certification program. Over 145,000 CIW certifications  have been issued since 1997. This number represents approximately 120,000 individuals worldwide. 
Universities, community colleges and secondary schools from North America to EMEA, China and China currently use CIW. For example, the University of the West of Scotland  uses CIW because it needs to base its programs on specific competencies and outcomes.
Of the many CIW certification paths, the most popular is Master CIW Designer , which is most often. This credential is given to anyone who passes the following three separate exams:
- Foundations (which makes an individual a “CIW Associate”) 
- Website Designer 
- E-Commerce Designer 
- Associate Design Specialist 
Master CIW Designer Certification is retired as of June 30th, 2011. Certifications previously awarded in this program will remain valid. No further credentials will be issued. 
Several CIW tests, including “Web Design Specialist” and “Site Development Associate”, are listed on the CompTIA Web & Mobile roadmap. 
CIW Community Site
The CIW Community was created with the stated mission to get information on how to teach Web design and development. The CIW Community site is accessible at http://www.CIWCommunity.org .
- Description of CIW from Web Technology Institute: http://www.webtechnology.institute/moodle27/
- Review of CIW from the University of the West of Scotland: http://ciw.uws.ac.uk/
- Adoption of CIW by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA): http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/computerprep.htm
- CIW Japan Web page: http://www.ciw-japan.com
- CIW China partnership with Shandong Government: http://www.chinatechnews.com/2005/06/19/2610-ciw-china-e-commerce-certifications-to-be-endorsed-by-shandong-government
- Jump up^ MeasureUP Web site CIW offerings
- Jump up^ CIW Advisory Council
- Jump up^ CIW Official Web site
- Jump up^ Numbers of Certified CIW ArchivedJune 10, 2008, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ University of the West of Scotland CIW page
- Jump up^ CIW Foundations Exam Guide
- Jump up^ CIW Site Designer Exam Guide
- Jump up^ CIW E-Commerce Designer Exam Guide
- Jump up^ Associate Design Specialist Exam Guide
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^http://certification.comptia.org/ExploreCareers/careerpaths/career_roadmap.aspx?tracking=CertsRoadmap