David Siegel (born 1959)  is an American entrepreneur. Having started his career in typography , he became a leading web designer in the mid-nineties, then worked as a business consultant , and currently leads a start-up in cryptocurrency . Siegel is also the author of four books exploring the intersection of management and technology.
David Siegel received an undergraduate degree in mathematics from the University of Colorado at Boulder. In 1985, he earned a master’s degree in digital typography from Stanford University. 
Siegel’s first job was with Pixar . He left the studio in the next ten years. During this period he designed several retail typefaces. 
Among the first wave of designers to turn their attention to the web,  Siegel started designing web sites in 1994, and in 1995 he started Studio Verso, a web design agency in San Francisco.  He became noted for his web site award named High Five , where he wrote a column reviewing websites for their design excellence.  On his personal website he also ran a section called Web Wonk , which offered instruction in web design, including the basics of color, typography, layout and images. 
Siegel’s first book, Creating Killer Web Sites ,  was published in 1996 (revised second edition 1997  ) and became an international bestseller.
Siegel’s approach to ‘Third-generation Site Design’, as promoted on his sites and in his book, involved in the structural properties of the HTML markup for presentational ends.  Especially, in the absence of browser support for the gestating Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) presentation language, he recommended the use of invisible single-pixel GIFs as spacers, and table-based layouts . 
Siegel reconsidered these recommendations in 1997, denouncing the single-pixel GIF and table-based layouts as ‘hacks’ and expressing optimism that advances in CSS support were going to bridge the divide between structure and presentation. 
Having Acquired a reputation as the “father of web design,”  Siegel-shifted His business activities from web design to web strategy consulting,  focusing His second book, Secrets of Successful Websites on web project management. 
His third book, Futurize your Enterprise,  appeared in 1999 and advises businesses to restructure themselves around their internet-empowered customers.
In 2010 Siegel’s fourth book came out, Pull,  which discusses the impact of the Semantic Web , defined in unusually broad terms,  on business.
In recent years, Siegel has been pursuing the project of an open-source platform named Pillar, which would enable users to retain control of their personal information using the blockchain . Having failed to raise venture capital for his company Twenty Thirty, he resolved to raise the money from prospective users of the platform, offering 560 million tokens via an initial corner offering in 2017. 
- Jump up^ “Trove search results for ‘creator:” Siegel, David, 1959- ” ‘ ” . Trove . Retrieved 2017-12-01 .
- Jump up^ “David Siegel” . Font Office . 1996 . Retrieved 2017-11-26 .
- Jump up^ Devroye, Luc. “David Siegel” . Devroye.org . Retrieved 2017-11-28 .
- Jump up^ Rifkin, Glenn (1995-11-27). “Increasingly, Top Designers Are Drawn To The Web” . The New York Times . ISSN 0362-4331 . Retrieved 2017-11-30 .
- Jump up^ Mieszkowski, Katharine (2000-03-03). “Web Sight – Let Your Customers Lead” . Fast Company . Retrieved 2017-11-26 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Kapica, Jack (October 20, 1995). “What makes a great web page”. The Globe and Mail . Toronto.
- Jump up^ Siegel, David (1996). Creating Killer Web Sites: The Art of Third-Generation Site Design (1st ed.). Carmel: Hayden. ISBN 1-56830-289-4 .
- Jump up^ Siegel, David (1997). Creating Killer Web Sites: The Art of Third-Generation Site Design (2nd ed.). Indianapolis: Hayden. ISBN 1-56830-433-1 .
- Jump up^ Veen, Jeffrey (July 1998). “Lesson 1: The Foundations of Web Design”. Webmonkey .
- Jump up^ Gruber, Jordan S. (1997-02-01). “Outta Site” . Wired .
- Jump up^ Siegel, David (1997-04-11). “The Web is ruined and i ruined it” . Web Review . Retrieved 2017-09-09 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Walker, David (1998-11-03). “Siegel goes for sensible”. Sydney Morning Herald . Sydney. p. 6.
- Jump up^ Siegel, David (1997). Secrets of Successful Web Sites: Project Management on the World Wide Web . Indianapolis, IN: Hayden Books.
- Jump up^ Siegel, David (1999-10-11). Futurize Your Enterprise: Business Strategy in the Age of the E-customer (1st ed.). New York: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-471-35763-6 .
- Jump up^ Siegel, David (2010-04-29). Pull: The Power of the Semantic Web to Transform Your Business (1st ed.). New York: Portfolio. ISBN 978-1-59184-277-4 .
- Jump up^ MacManus, Richard (2010-03-30). “David Siegel: From Killer Web Sites to Semantic Web” . ReadWrite . Retrieved 2017-11-30 .
- Jump up^ Volpicelli, Gian (2017-07-14). “The $ 3.8bn cryptocurrency bubble is a huge deal, but it could break the blockchain” . Wired . Retrieved 2017-11-28 .