Jared Spool is an American writer, researcher , speaker , educator, and an expert on the subject of usability , software, design, and research.  He is the principal source of User Interface Engineering, a research, training, and consulting firm specializing in product and usability, and the largest usability research organization of its kind in the world.  He is also an amateur magician . Spool attended Niskayuna High School in Niskayuna, NY . 
Spool has been working in the field of usability and design since 1978, before the term “usability” was ever associated with computers.
Achievements and awards
Under Spool’s leadership, in 1996, UIE launched the User Interface Conference , an annual user experience and design conference, which he both chairs and keynotes. 
From 1998 to 2008, as an adjunct faculty member at Tufts University , Spool created and taught a unique curriculum for the Tufts Gordon Institute .
Keynote presentations for The National Association of Webmasters, The National Association of Online Librarians, Higher Ed Webmasters, Agile 2009, South by Southwest Interactive , Web Advertising, Web Visions, the Usability Professionals Association , CHI (conference) , the Information Architecture Summit, UX Australia, UX Lisbon, UX London, Drupal Con 2011, An Event Apart , Designing for People Amsterdam, UPA China, the Norwegian Computer Society, the British Computer Society , the Society for Technical Communication , and the Federal Webmasters Society .
In 2011, the Stevens Award was given to Spool, “whose quiet evangelism of usability and the practical outcomes of methods and tools had a wide-ranging influence on how we think about making effective systems.” 
Spool spends his time working with the research teams at the company, helps clients understand how to solve their design problems, and explains to reporters and industry analysts. In addition to being a top-rated speaker at more than 20 conferences every year,  .   He is also on the editorial board for Rosenfeld Media , a user experience publishing house. 
The Center Center
With the help of a success Kickstarter campaign,  in 2014, Jared co-founded the Center Center , “a new, bricks-and-mortar user experience design school for adults,”  with Dr. Leslie Jensen-Inman .
- Spool, Jared M. & Robert Hoekman, Jr. Web Anatomy: Interaction Design Frameworks That Work ( ISBN 0-3216-3502-7 ).
- Spool, Jared M., Rosalee J. Wolfe & Daniel M. McCracken. User-Centered Web Site Development: A Human Computer Interaction Approach ( ISBN 0-1304-1161-2 ).
- Spool, Jared M., Carolyn Snyder, Tara Scanlon & Terri DeAngelo. Web Site Usability: A Designer’s Guide ( ISBN 0-6139-1572-0 ).
- Jeffrey Rubin & Dana Chisnell, Spool, Jared M. (Forward), Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests ( ISBN 0470185481 ).
- Articles 
- 1993. “User involvement in the design process: why, when & how?” INTERCHI 1993: 251-254
- 1994. “ProductUsability: survival techniques.” CHI Conference Companion 1994: 365-366
- 1994. “Using a game to teach a design process.” CHI Conference Companion 1994: 117-118
- 1995. “CHI 95 Conference Companion” 1995: 395-396
- 1995. “User Interface Engineering: Fostering Creative Product Development.” CHI 95 Conference Companion 1995: 166-167
- 1997. “Product Usability: Survival Techniques.” CHI Extended Abstracts 1997: 154-155
- 1997. “Measuring Website Usability.” CHI Extended Abstracts 1997: 125
- 2002. “Usability in practice: alternatives to formative evaluations-evolution and revolution.” CHI Extended Abstracts 2002: 891-897
- 2002. “Usability in practice: formative usability assessments – evolution and revolution.” CHI Extended Abstracts 2002: 885-890
- 2003. “Evaluating globally: how to conduct international gold intercultural usability research.” CHI Extended Abstracts 2003: 704-705
- 2003. “The” magic number 5 “: Is it enough for web testing?” CHI Extended Abstracts 2003: 698-699
- 2005. “The Great Debate: Can Usability Scale Up?” CHI Extended Abstracts 2005: 1174-1175
- 2007. “Get real!”: What’s wrong with hci prototyping and how can we fix it? CHI Extended Abstracts 2007: 1913-1916
- Jump up^ Ward, Mark. “The long and winding road of e-commerce”, BBC News , November 18, 2011. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- Jump up^ User Interface Engineering. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- Jump up^ “From Our Mailbag”, “Niskayuna Warrior”, June 1979. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- Jump up^ UX London Speakers – Jared Spool. Retrieved December 7, 2011
- Jump up^ Stevens ArchivedRecipients Award2009-03-07 at theWayback Machine.. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- Jump up^ UX London Speakers – Jared Spool. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- Jump up^ Lanyrd Profile for Jared M. Spool. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Jump up^ Speakers – UX Lisbon 2010. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Jump up^ Editorial Board – Rosenfeld Media. Retrieved December 6, 2011.
- Jump up^ Unicorn Institute: Racing to shape the future of UX design. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Jump up^ Center Center. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Jump up^ http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/indices/a-tree/s/Spool:Jared_M=.html