John Halcyon Styn is an American blogger , entrepreneur , motivational speaker, web designer , author , and Web celebrity ,  who “pushed the boundaries of online self-expression”  through his various online projects. He is currently the co-founder of 1st Saturdays,   a homeless outreach project, host of Hug Nation. 
Styn worked as the first Webmaster for Sony’s “Station” E-commerce Mall and for CollegeClub.com 
Styn has won two Webby Awards , the first, as the designer and star of his personal website, cockybastard.com,  and the second for a HugNation video podcast . 
Other projects have included:
- Fears. Regrets. Desires , an NBC Internet-only, confessional story-sharing show. Host. 
- FreshRealm, a food shipping company that uses reusable shipping technology. Chief Wisdom Officer.  
- Anybeat, a social networking service based on pseudonymity. 
- 1st Saturdays, a homeless outreach project based in San Diego. 
- Hug Nation, which won the “people’s choice” Webby Award in 2007.   
- Pinkgasm.com, an “alternative sexuality site” that sponsored the Masturbate-a-thon events. 
- Pink Aid, Hurricane Katrina .  
- “Porn Posse”, an Internet services company. 
- CitizenX.com, an experimental webcam community. 
- TheRealHouse, live webcam-house that ran from 2000-2002 
- The book, Love more. Fear less. (2010) 
Styn bought his first URL in 1996 to put his self-published zine , Prehensile Tales, on the web.  This first autobiographical ezine ran from 1996 to 2000.
He first achieved internet notoriety when one of his stories got him into trouble with Fruit of the Loom.  When they feel a lot and desist on the subject of March 2, 1998, they insist that they take a look at their blog. The post is still up.
He is also a contributor for the Burning Blog, the official blog of Burning Man . 
Awards and nominations
|2000||Webby Award||Best Personal Website – cockybastard.com||Won|
|2007||Webby Award||Reality – Hug Nation||Won|
- Jump up^ Wilson, Michael (September 18, 2012). “Real Photo, Fake Family” . NY Times.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Derek M. Powazek (2002). “A Conversation with John Styn”. Design for community: the art of connecting people in virtual places . New Riders. p. 159. ISBN 9780735710757 .
- ^ Jump up to:Morlan a b , Kinsee (January 19, 2011). “Online Intimacy” . San Diego City Beat. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04 . Retrieved 1 March2017 .
- Jump up^ “Helping the Homeless in San Diego” . Retrieved 3 October 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Bryant, Steve (June 5, 2007). “Taking in the Webby Video Scene” . GigaOM. Archived from the original on January 22, 2011.
- Jump up^ Hafner, Katie (May 31, 2001). “A Beautiful Life, an Early Death, a Fraud Exposed” . New York Times.
- Jump up^ “And the winner is ..” The Independent. May 15, 2000.
- Jump up^ Evans, Jamie (September 2, 2011). “Hugnation Wins The Votes Of People Like Better Reality Site For The 11th Annual Webby Award” . Radar Gadgets. Archived from the original on July 14, 2012.
- Jump up^ Albrecht, Chris (March 9, 2009). “Did NBC Regret Its (Post) Secret Web Series Ambitions?” . Gigaom.com.
- Jump up^ “How to build a technology company around food – John Styn of FreshRealm” . Medialeaders.com. June 13, 2014.
- Jump up^ Becky, Haycox (June 17, 2015). “Meet this year’s Economic Outlook Breakfast Speakers” . Ventura Chamber of Commerce.
- Jump up^ Olanoff, Drew (September 27, 2011). “AnyBeat is the social network that does not even want your real name” . The Next Web.
- Jump up^ Sites, Kevin. “People of the Web – Love Warriors” . Yahoo. Archived from the original on 2007-07-03 . Retrieved 3 October 2012 .
- Jump up^ Stern, Otto Z. (23 June 2007). “Yahoo! ‘S pink liberation army to America’s youth threat • The Register” . The Register . Retrieved 3 October 2012 .
- Jump up^ Newitz, Annalee (March 1, 2006). “Blogging for Dollars: How to Launch Porn in the Blogosphere” . Adult Video News.
- Jump up^ Lewis, Todd (September 30, 2005). “Digital Orgy for Charity Sunday” . Adult Video News.
- Jump up^ Lewis, Todd. “PINK + AID Charity Porn DVD Now Available” . Adult Video News.
- Jump up^ Barrett, Marty (December 1, 2003). “Fistful of Porn: The Porn Posse Saddles Up” . Adult Video News.
- Jump up^ Senft, Theresa M. (2008). Camgirls: Celebrity and Community in the Age of Social Networks . ISBN 9780820456942 . Retrieved 3 October 2012 .
- Jump up^ Styn, John (2010). Love more. Fear less . Lulu . ISBN 9780557669196 .
- Jump up^ “Halycon” . Ambush Interview. March 23, 2005.
- Jump up^ “15 Questions for Halcyon Styn” . Retrieved 3 October 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Posts by John” Halcyon “Styn” . Black Rock City, llc.