Website builders are tools that typically allow the construction of websites with manual editing. They fall into two categories:
- online proprietary tools provided by web hosting companies. These are usually intended for users to build their private site. Some companies allow the site owner to install alternative tools (commercial or open source) – the more complex of these may also be described as Content Management Systems ;
- offline software which runs on a computer, creating pages and which can then publish these pages on any host. (These are often considered to be “website design software”, rather than “website builders”.)
The first websites were created in the early 1990s.  These sites were manually written in HTML .
Over time, software was created to help design web pages and by 1998 Dreamweaver had been established as the industry leader; However, some have been criticized as being overblown and reliant on tables. As the industry moved towards W3C standards, Dreamweaver and others were criticized for not being compliant. Compliance has improved over time, but many professionals still prefer to write.
Open source tools have been developed, and made fewer exceptions for the then-dominant Internet Explorer’s deviations from the standards.
The W3C started Amaya in 1996 to showcase Web technologies in a fully featured Web client. This is a framework that integrates W3C technologies into a single, consistent environment. Amaya started as an HTML and CSSeditor and now supports XML , XHTML , MathML , and SVG . 
GeoCities was one of the first modern site builders that did not require any technical skills. Five years after its launch in 1994 Yahoo! bought it for $ 3.6 billion. After becoming obsolete, it was shut down in April 2009. 
Online vs. offline
Online website builders typically require customers to sign up with the web hosting company. Some companies provide examples of fully functional websites made with their website builder. The Range of services varies anywhere entre Creating basic personal web pages or social network glad to making full business and e-commerce websites, Either template based gold on the more flexible platforms, totally free design.
The main advantage of an online website is that it is quick and easy to use, and often does not require prior experience.  Often, a website can be built and run on the Internet quickly. Technical support is usually provided, as is how-to video and help files. Though there are many general websites builders you can find a website builder created especially for a specific niche (dating, medical etc.) with features needed for this niche.
Sites are generally created using either HTML or Adobe Flash . Flash is a proprietary format that has become de facto standard, with the support of a browser extension. However, it has a diminishing popularity, since it has been superseded by Web standards ( HTML5 ) and is no longer supported by major mobile operating systems iOS (Apple) and Android (Google). Flash is more resource-intensive than HTML.
HTML tools are divided into those of WYSIWYG mode.
Offline web builders cater to professional web designers who need to create web pages for more than one client or web host. Modern offline web builders are usually both WYSIWYG and allow direct editing of source code and cascading style sheets (CSS) styling. They generally require at least a basic understanding of HTML and CSS. Although they are more flexible than online builders, they are often expensive. However, some open source website builders may be downloaded free of charge by “freemium” license model.
- HTML editor
- Comparison of HTML editors
- Web design
- Jump up^ Mark Lawson (August 9, 2005). “Berners Lee on the read / write web” . BBC News .
- Jump up^ “Amaya Home Page” . World Wide Web Consortium . December 9, 2009 . Retrieved September 29, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Yahoo buys GeoCities” . CNN.com . January 28, 1999 . Retrieved September 18, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “5 Awesome Free Builders Platforms” . About.com . September 30, 2014 . Retrieved November 22, 2014 .