Wix.com is a cloud-based web development platform that was first developed and popularized by the Israeli company also called Wix. It allows users to create HTML5 web sites and mobile sites through the use of online drag and drop tools.  Social plug-ins, e-commerce, contact forms, e-mail marketing, and community forums can be used to their web sites using a variety of Wix-developed and third-party applications. 
Wix is built on a freemium business model, earning its revenue through premium upgrades. Wix ads, add e-commerce capabilities, or buy extra data storage and bandwidth.  
Wix was founded in 2006 by Israelis Avishai Abrahami, Nadav Abrahami and Giora Kaplan. The company, headquartered in Tel Aviv , with offices in Be’er-Sheva , New York City, San Francisco, Dnipro , Kiev , and Vilnius , is backed by investors Insight Venture Partners , Mangrove Capital Partners , Bessemer Venture Partners , and Benchmark Capital .  
The company entered an open beta phase in 2007 using a platform based on Adobe Flash . 
By April 2010 Wix had 3.5 million users and $ 10 million in Series C funding provided by Benchmark Capital and other investors Bessemer Venture Partners and Mangrove Capital Partners. [ citation needed ] In March 2011, Wix had 8.5 million users and raised $ 40 million in Series D funding, bringing its total funding to $ 61 million.  In April 2014, Wix announced its acquisition of Appixia, an Israeli startup for creating native mobile commerce (mCommerce) apps. In October 2014, Wix announced its acquisition of OpenRest , a developer of online ordering systems for restaurants. 
On February 23rd, 2017, Wix.com was acquired by DeviantArt for $ 36 million. 
Move to HTML5
In March 2012, Wix launched a new HTML5 site builder, replacing the Adobe Flash technology. Existing sites built in Flash continued to be supported, but all new customers were directed to the new HTML5 platform. 
By August 2013, the Wix platform had more than 34 million registered users.  By 2014, the company reported 50 million users. 
IPO on NASDAQ
On November 5, 2013, Wix had an initial public offering on NASDAQ , raising about $ 127 million for the company and some share holders. 
This section is missing from the company’s Artificial Design Intelligence software . Please expand the section to include this information. Further details may exist on the talk page . (November 2016)
Wix provides customizable web site templates and a drag and drop HTML5 web site builder that includes apps, graphics, image galleries, fonts, and other options. Users can also opt to create their web sites from scratch. In October 2013 Wix introduced a mobile editor to allow users to adjust their sites for mobile viewing . 
Wix app market
On October 2012, Wix launched an app market for users to sell applications built with the company’s automated web development technology. Wix’s software development kit lets app developers create and offer web apps to the millions of Wix users around the globe.  Wix App Market offers both free and subscription-based applications, with a revenue split of 70 percent for the developer and 30 percent for Wix. 
The App Market enables customers to make third-party applications in their own websites, such as photo feeds, blogging, music playlists, online community, email marketing, and file management.  Various applications are offered by Google , Instagram , LiveChat , Shopify , and Ecwid .  
On May 15, 2014, Wix announced “WixHive API”, which allows any installed Wix app within a user’s web site to capture and share their visitor data (such as contact information, messages, purchases and bookings) with other installed apps within the same web site. By sharing data, this gives more information about their visitor behavior and can help their businesses. 
In August 2014, Wix Wix lancé Hotels, a booking system for hotels, bed and breakfasts , and vacation rentals qui use Wix websites.  This was followed in 2015 by Wix Music, a platform for independent musicians to market and sell their music.  and Wix Restaurants in 2016. 
- Appixia, a developer of a platfrom for building “mCommerce” apps, was acquired in March 2014. 
- OpenRest , a provider of online ordering and mobile solutions for restaurants, was acquired in October 2014. 
- Moment.me , a service building for mobile social media, was acquired in April 2015. 
- Flok , a provider of customer loyalty programs, was acquired in January 2017.
- DeviantArt , an online community for art / design creators and enthusiasts, was acquired in February 2017. 
In October 2016, there was a controversy over Wix’s use of WordPress  GPL -licensed code. In response, Avishai Abrahami, Wix’s CEO, published an answer explaining which open source code was used.  However, it was subsequently noted that GPL license, which requires any code built on GPL-licensed code, is also under license. 
- Comparison of free web hosting services
- Website builder
- Jump up^ Zukerman, Erez (9 April 2012). “Create a Website Easily With Wix” . PCWorld . Retrieved 17 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Now At 25M Users, Wix Brings Third-Party Apps To Its Website Builder With New Marketplace” . TechCrunch. 16 October 2012 . Retrieved 17 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ “New options for building a free website” . MSN. July 23, 2013 . Retrieved 29 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Business Solution Reviews” . Wix.com . Retrieved 10 October 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Wix.com” . Wix.com . Retrieved 9 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ Vidra, Eze (28 March 2011). “Israeli startup Wix Raises $ 40 Million, Wants to Become a Large Company in Israel” . VC Cafe . Retrieved 17 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ McCarthy, Caroline (13 October 2008). “Website creator Wix announces funding, subscriptions” . CNET . Retrieved 17 January 2014 .
- Jump up^ Israeli startup Wix Raises $ 40 Million, Wants to Become a Large Company in Israel, Eze Vidra, VCCafe; March 28, 2011
- Jump up^ “Wix expands with the acquisition of restaurant solutions provider OpenRest” . geektime.com . October 30, 2014 . Retrieved 23 January2017 .
- Jump up^ “Wix acquires website builder art community DeviantArt for $ 36M” . TechCrunch . Retrieved 23 February 2017 .
- Jump up^ Wix launches a brand new HTML5 site builder as Flash heads the way of the dodo, Harrison Weber, The Next Web, 26 March 2012
- Jump up^ Shemer, Nadav (10 June 2013). “6 Israeli Startups To Watch As Google Reportedly Buys Waze For $ 1.3 Billion” . Fast Company . Retrieved 29 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Wix About Us” . Wix.com . Wix.com.
- Jump up^ Israeli start-up Wix raises $ 127m in Nasdaq IPO, ‘Financial Times, 6 November 2013
- Jump up^ “New Mobile Solution from Wix” . Wix Blog .
- Jump up^ Barrett, Jeff (16 October 2012). “Wix introduces game-changing Market App for web developers” . The Washington Times . Retrieved 17 January2014 .
- Jump up^ Wix.com launches market apps, Paul Krill, 16 October 2012, Computerworld
- Jump up^ Clancy, Heatjer (16 May 2013). “Small-business web host becomes Google reseller” . ZDNet . Retrieved 29 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ Wix and Shopify Partner to Launch New Small Business SolutionYahoo! Finance, 19 November 2012
- Jump up^ Ecwid Store Builder Available to Wix.com’s 35 million UsersReuters, 25 June 2013
- Jump up^ “WixHive API” . Wix.com . Retrieved 10 August 2014 .
- Jump up^ Boutique hotels just got Easier To book, Sara Ashley O’Brien, CNN Money, 6 August 2014
- Jump up^ Wix targets indie musicians with WixMusic launch, Natalie Gagliordi, ZDNet | 31 March 2015
- Jump up^ Wix.com Launches Wix Restaurants Bringing a True DIY Solution for Online and Mobile Ordering to Worldwide RestaurantsYahoo Finance, March 31, 2016
- Jump up^ Fresh From IPO, Wix Acquires Israeli Startup Appixia To Bring Native Mobile Commerce Support To 42M Users
- Jump up^ Wix.com Acquires OpenRest to Bring Online & Mobile Ordering to Worldwide Restaurants
- Jump up^ Wix Buys Moment.Me For $ 10M To Social Marketing To Its Website Building Platform
- Jump up^ Website Builder Wix Acquires DeviantArt art community for $ 36M
- Jump up^ The Wix Mobile App, a WordPress Joint| Ma.tt, 28 October 2016
- Jump up^ Dear Matt Mullenweg: an open letter from Wix.com’s CEO| Official Wix Blog, 29 October 2016
- Jump up^ Gallagher, Sean. “Wix gets caught” stealing “GPL Code from WordPress” . Ars Technica .